Wednesday 18 September 2013

Like a Child

I was sitting in the yard, talking with my friend Joy, as we watched “our kids” running and playing together. Her kid was actually a child, Joy’s 3 year old daughter Meryn. Mine of course was Cosette.
We talked about our girls, and about life in general, our conversation occasionally punctuated by admonitions to Cosette and Meryn to stay away from the horses’ back ends, or comments that maybe it was time to calm a little. We discussed the hassles of raising a child (or a puppy) in India, and how neurotic Moms can be sometimes. I told about things I’ve learned about Cosette (just the night before, I let her sleep for 3 hours just before bed, which resulted in her not being ready for bed, and running around like a crazy child while I tried to sleep). It made us both chuckle, because really, anyone who would have heard us talking and not known the context would likely have thought we were both talking about human children.
I know Cosette is a puppy, not a baby…I’m not quite a crazy dog lady yet :~) But I also know that she has a lot of similarities to a child, whether in the care she needs, or the discipline, or just basic things. She needs love and attention, she needs to be taught, and most of all, she needs to know she can trust me, and I will not abandon or abuse her. I’m actually learning a lot about small children from her. She is the first puppy that has actually been mine. The first pet at all that has completely depended on me, and the first one I’ve not been able to just ask my parents to care for if I’m going to be busy. I have to work out what to do with her to be sure she is well cared for. I have to get her the necessary shots, and be sure that she is healthy. It is a lot of work, but well worth it. Especially at moments like this, when she is asleep in my arms while I type (She is often there when I type).
Life was a lot easier without a puppy, but it is a lot more pleasant with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment