Thursday 26 September 2013

Unwanted

When I told people where Cosette came from, anyone who knows the area told me that there are puppies there frequently. There are people there who breed puppies to sell. They sell any that they can, and when the remaining puppies are too old to sell, they boot them out onto the street, where they either fend for themselves or die.
Cosette loves being an inside puppy. She's gotten pretty convinced that she'll die if she goes back out on the street.
I don’t get why or how someone would do this. Why would you dump a perfectly good puppy just because you’ve not sold it? How could you turn away such a tiny, sweet thing, knowing that it will likely die? I don’t understand it. I guess when one sees the puppies as a nuisance and a money maker (or money eater if it does not sell), it would be easy. No different than me throwing away some scraps of wire that didn’t turn into the necklace I wanted them to turn into.
It’s easy to say it is an Indian thing, or a third world thing, since I’ve seen stuff like this in Brazil and whatnot too. But it’s really a human thing. We’re so into throwing away what doesn’t work for us. Be it an animal that isn’t bringing in the money we expected, or a relationship, or even babies and the elderly. If it doesn’t give us anything, we don’t want it. How pathetic is it that our society has become like this?

It makes me sad to see people ridding their lives of things which could teach them so much. 
Not sure how someone could look at that face and throw her away. People are and will remain a mystery to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment